Looking for a new challenge in your dancing? Learning a choreographed routine could be your next step!
Each year we offer a number of routine courses, always with an optional performance goal at the end of the course.
Even if you choose not to perform the routine, learning it is a great social experience that gives you the opportunity to get to know dancers from your neighbouring venues, and can be very rewarding for every level of dancer.
Other benefits of learning a routine are:
- enhancing styling and learning performance techniques
- learning those finishing touches that make the advanced couples look great
- aiding memory retention and increasing your repertoire of moves
- increasing awareness of and appreciation for musical interpretation on the dance floor
- appreciating and experiencing better techniques in your dancing
- social interaction with other dancers learning the same routine
- gaining confidence through performance that not only helps you in your dancing but in day to day life too!
So, if you’re keen to learn a routine, read on for what’s coming up from your CMJ choreography crew and start looking for a partner. And on that note, check out our “Routine Survival Guide” too – you’ll find it very informative and good advice for those who haven’t learnt a choreographed routine before!
Ceroc & Modern Jive Dance Company prides itself on its high quality routines with thanks to some of the most experienced and creative Modern Jive choreographers in the country:
|1||Ecuador||1998 Nicky Haslam & Simon de Lisle|
|2||Man, I Feel Like A Woman||1999 Nicky Haslam & Steve Taylor-Jones|
|3||The Girls Routine||2000 Nicky Haslam|
|4||Tom Jones||2000 Maria Vranistas & Marty Bohm|
|5||Moulin Rouge – Can Can||2001 Nicky Haslam|
|6||Moulin Rouge – Diamonds||2001 Camille Formston, Emily Howard & Julie Gunn|
|7||Moulin Rouge – El Tango||2001 Nicky Haslam & Robert Winter|
|8||Moulin Rouge – Lady Marmalade||2001 Nicky Haslam & Julie Gunn|
|9||Moonlight||2001 Camille Formston & Simon Borland|
|10||Disco Inferno||2002 Nicky Haslam & Robert Winter|
|11||Hero||2002 Nicky Haslam & Robert Winter|
|12||Hollywood Medley||2002 Julie Gunn & Adam Niland; Emily Howard; Helena Georgopoulos & Jon Ham; Louie & Andrea Raish|
|13||Jetset Armani||2002 Nicky Haslam & Robert Winter|
|14||Titanic||2002 Julie Gunn & Adam Niland|
|15||C’est Toi||2003 Nicky Haslam & Robert Winter|
|16||Chicago – Razzle Dazzle||2003 Camille Formston, Hamish Johnstone, Tova Ducker, Terry Furness|
|17||Chicago – Roxie||2003 Nicky Haslam & Robert Winter|
|18||Chicago – All That Jazz||2003 Camille Formston & Hamish Johnstone|
|19||Disco||2004 Julie Gunn & Adam Niland|
|20||Kylie||2004 Camille Formston & Gary Capell|
|21||Michael Jackson||2004 Nicky Haslam & Robert Winter|
|22||Party On||2004 Nicky Haslam & Robert Winter|
|23||Principles of Lust||2004 Nicky Haslam & Robert Winter|
|24||1,2 Step||2005 Camille Formston & Brian Handisides|
|25||Ceroc ‘n’ Roll||2005 Nicky Haslam & Charles Gil|
|26||Love Potion||2005 Nicky Haslam & Robert Winter|
|27||Secret (West Coast Swing)||2005 Nicky Haslam & Robert Winter|
|28||Spooky Shoes||2005 Julie Gunn & Adam Niland|
|29||The Way We Move||2005 Nicky Haslam & Robert Winter|
|30||You’re The Boss||2005 Tova Ducker & Terry Furness|
|31||Gentlemen||2006 Julie Gunn & Adam Niland|
|32||Love Is||2006 Nicky Haslam & Robert Winter; Julie Gunn & Adam Niland|
|33||Music||2006 Nicky Haslam & Robert Winter|
|34||Party (West Coast Swing)||2006 Nicky Haslam & Robert Winter|
|35||Everything Buble||2007 Julie Gunn & Adam Niland|
|36||Fergalicious||2007 Nicky Haslam & Robert Winter|
|37||Grace Kelly||2007 Louise Capps & David Greenwood|
|38||Rock This Party||2007 Camille Formston & Dave Pinn|
|39||3 Minutes||2008 Nicky Haslam & Robert Winter|
|40||Don’t Stop||2008 Camille Formston & Louie Raish|
|41||Hooked||2008 Julie Gunn & Adam Niland|
|42||Thriller (Funk)||2009 Camille Formston & Louie Raish|
|43||Hot n Cold||2009 Deanna Rolfe & Jon Ham|
|44||Cirque||2009 Nicky Haslam & Robert Winter|
|45||Freeze Forever||2009 Julie Gunn & Adam Niland|
|46||Tik Tok||2010 Julie Gunn & Adam Niland|
|47||You Got It||2010 Janet Bradburn & Gary Capell|
|48||Release Me||2010 Julie Gunn & Adam Niland|
|49||Raise Your Glass||2011 Nicky Haslam & Ajay Ranipeta|
|50||Own This Club||2011 Kate Foster & Patryck Allen|
|51||Breathe||2011 Julie Gunn & Adam Niland|
|52||Call Me Maybe||2012 Julie Gunn & Adam Niland|
|53||Planets||2012 Kate Foster & Adrian Doczy|
|54||Hero – 2012 Style!||2012 Nicky Haslam & Robert Winter|
|55||Kiss||2013 Julie Gunn & Adam Niland|
|56||Scream & Shout||2013 Charlotte Cowie & Patryck Allen|
|57||Feel This Moment||2013 Julie Gunn & Louie Raish|
|58||Blurred Lines||2014 Nicky Haslam & William Wu|
|59||Timber||2014 Julie Gunn & Adam Niland|
|60||Jersey Boys Medley||2014 Nicky Haslam & Nathan Walsh|
|61||Counting Stars||2014 Kate Foster & Patryck Allen|
|62||Lola – re-release in 2014!||2014 Tania & Bill Hannan, Susan & Colin Titmuss|
|63||Heaven||2014 Julie Gunn & Louie Raish|
|64||Uptown Funk||2015 Nicky Haslam & William Wu|
|65||Dear Future Husband||2015 Tania & Bill Hannan, Susan & Colin Titmuss|
|66||Spectrum Medley||2015 Adam Niland, Julie Gunn, Louie Raish, Roz Hicks, William Wu|
|67||Get Movin’||2016 Nicky Haslam & Nathan Walsh|
|68||Christmas Medley||2016 Julie Gunn|
|69||Can’t Stop the Feeling||2016 Nicky Haslam & Gavin Rudd|
|70||Ritzy Cheek to Cheek||2016 Emma Thompson & Francis Burgess|
|71||Secret Love||2016 Julie Gunn & Louie Raish|
See below for info on our upcoming routine courses.
For footage of some of our previous routines, visit our Ceroc Routine Performances page.
2017 Championships Team Routine
Rhythm Tonight – with Nicky and Gavin
Length: Approx 3 minutes
Song: Move Your Body by Sia
Venue: Club Willoughby
Pricing: $140 per person ($112 for full time students/seniors card) plus costume
Week 1 - Sunday 26th March – 4.30pm til 7.30pm (3 hrs)
Week 2 - Sunday 2nd April - 4.30pm til 7.30pm (3 hrs)
Week 3 - Sunday 9th April - 4.30pm til 6.30pm (2 hrs)
Week 4 - Sunday 7th May - 4.30pm til 6.30pm (2 hrs)
Week 5 – Sunday 28th May - 4.30pm til 6.30pm (2 hrs)
Up to 9 couples will be chosen via audition to dance the routine as a competition entry in the NSW Championships being held at Bankstown Sports Club on Saturday 3rd June. All participants will be invited to perform the routine at the Ceroc Dance Parties on Saturday 17th June and Saturday 5th August.
Those selected for the Champs crew will have three additional sessions (extra minimal cost) as follows: Sunday 7th May (6.30pm til 8pm), Saturday 13th May (2pm til 3.30pm) and Sunday 28th May (6.30pm til 8pm).
Partner required and bookings are essential – pick up a booking form from your local class, or book online at this link.
2017 Ball Routines
The annual excitement of Ball Routines will start to build on Saturday 5th August when we will demo our traditional short previews of the routines at the Ashfield Dance Party.
Dates still to be confirmed for rehearsals, but pencil in all your Sundays from late September until 10th December for now!
Routine Booking Conditions:
- No refunds apply after 7 days before course commencement.
- Any payments made on the day of routine course commencement will attract a $10 late fee
- All dancers learning and performing routines give rights for Ceroc & Modern Jive Dance Company to publish footage of the performance(s) on our website and other appropriate media. Rights to publish such footage remain with Ceroc & Modern Jive Company only.
Routine Survival Guide!
Whilst learning a routine is undoubtedly a fantastic experience, there can be some unexpected challenges that we’d like to tell you about!
- Choose your level wisely, and if necessary ask the advice of the routine teachers. Decide firstly whether you’re up to the challenge of learning a choreographed routine where you need to remember and execute a sequence of moves that can last between 3 to 4 minutes. If that in itself is a challenge, or if you are not confident doing multiple spins, dips etc, don’t be afraid to sign up for a routine at a lower level than your current dance ability, and progress to a higher challenge next time. Doing a routine is as much about improving your dancing as it is about having fun. Doing a slightly easier routine can help to reinforce good dance technique in a way that a more challenging routine may not.
- Ensure you have the time and dedication to put in at least one practise session with your partner between each scheduled rehearsal session. This is the key to performing the routine to your best. Also ensure that your partner has the same expectation and commitment.
- Experience tells us that life partners unfortunately don’t always make good dance partners during routine courses! Yes, there are many cases that prove us very wrong, but there are far more that prove us right! Why not consider both signing up for the same routine but with different partners? That way you go through the learning challenges with someone else, but you both spend your rehearsal days in the same place, and who knows, maybe you might get to perform it together at a later time.
- Having ulterior motives for asking someone to learn a routine with you is rarely a good idea. Choose a partner who matches you on the dance floor, not on the dating scene! Coffee, brunch or movies is far more appropriate for a first date than Week One of the next intermediate routine course! Amorous intentions during routine courses are often not appreciated, and not only do you lose your chance of a date with that person, but generally you end up not completing the routine either!
- Understand that everyone has a different learning style. If you’ve signed up for a routine with a new partner, understand how they learn. Think about how you give them feedback – they may not respond well to frustration and loss of patience. If in doubt about to give feedback to your partner, ask your routine teacher.
And remember, routines aren’t for everyone. If you struggle to remember basic class sequences and prefer to just dance socially with no extra challenges, then maybe routines aren’t for you. But for the rest of us – they’re the highlight of our Ceroc year! Enjoy!