NSW Ceroc Modern Jive & West Coast Swing Dance Championships
Friday 31st May to Sunday 2nd June 2019
The Grand Ballroom at Bankstown Sports Club
8 Greenfield Parade, Bankstown, Sydney
If you’ve skipped straight to this page, make sure you also read the Championships Home Page which has plenty of other useful and important information.
Competitor Entry and Pricing
Competitor entries open on 1st March 2019 and close on 16th May 2019. All entries must be submitted online – see the bottom of this page for the link to the entry form. We would rather get your entry EARLY, so even if you don’t have the money yet to pay until the due date on 16th May, please submit now and pay later.
Full Weekend Pass Price:
Including competition entry in both styles on both days, plus the Friday and Sunday night parties – $199
Party Tickets - $25 per night
Spectator Tickets - $30 per day ($20 for Under 18s, Full Time Students, Seniors, FREE for under 12s)
Modern Jive Competitor Entry (Saturday) – $95 for unlimited categories and including free spectator entry on the West Coast Swing day*
West Coast Swing Competitor Entry (Sunday) – $80 for unlimited categories, including WSDC competitor fees and free spectator entry on the Modern Jive day*
$20 discount per day if competing in only ONE CATEGORY (with only one entry in that category)**
*Free spectator access included in your competition entry fee is not transferable and not refundable if unused. If you withdraw your competition entry the spectator access will become void.
** Please note there is a $5 surcharge (plus the price difference) if you upgrade from a Single Category entry to an Unlimited Category entry at any time after submitting your entry. There is no refund for downgrading.
ALL COMPETITOR ENTRIES MUST BE PAID BY 16th MAY - NO EXCEPTIONS.
Video Footage – $30 per day for all Finals and Performances via online download
$12 per single category final (including Sunday night performances)
Please be aware that the footage is of finals and performances only. Feel free to video the heats and semi finals on your phone throughout the competition days.
Categories, Levels and Rules
All competitors are required to read the relevant rules documents in order to determine their level and the rules relevant to the categories they are entering. All events differ so please don’t assume the rules are the same as the last competition you entered.
A quick summary of categories is on the Championships Home Page however please read the detailed rules document for full qualification details.
Links to the rules documents for this event are below.
Things Competitors Always Miss – PLUS Changes in 2019
Please note these important points which people often don’t realise, plus some important rule changes in 2019. Reading the points below does not substitute the need for all competitors to read the full rules document.
- In Pro Am/Mix n Match in both the Modern Jive and West Coast Swing competitions, you are NOT PERMITTED to compete with a partner you are dancing with in any other part of that day’s competition or who you have competed with at a previous event of that same dance style. The only exception to this is a partner you rotate to for only part of a team routine that has partner swaps, plus *NEW THIS YEAR* we will make exception for interstate competitors (only) who will be allowed to compete with someone they have previously competed with (but not to compete with them in another category on the same day) provided they did not place 1st, 2nd or 3rd.
- You cannot dance at a level below the level you have qualified for, even in a different category. For example if you have qualified in Modern Jive for Advanced DWAS, then you must dance at Advanced level in BOTH Freestyle and DWAS, regardless of whether or not you have qualified via Intermediate Plus Freestyle. In West Coast Swing your Jack n Jill level determines which level of the competition you dance in. You may apply to dance up a level, but you are not permitted to dance below your DWAS/Jack n Jill level.
- We must be notified of all intended entries for Modern Jive Teams and Showcases no later than Monday 15th April 2019 so we can ensure there are sufficient entries for these categories to go ahead and can confirm with all choreographers and team leaders that their rehearsing can continue. West Coast Swing routine entries are judged via People’s Choice voting therefore this does not apply.
- All Modern Jive Champions Freestyle competitors must submit song choices by the closing date for entries, and *NEW THIS YEAR* the required BPM (beats per minute) range has changed. Please read Attachment A of the rules document.
- *NEW THIS YEAR* There is now a new rule in the Modern Jive competition for progression from Intermediate Plus to Advanced at this event. Please read Page 4 of the rules document carefully and email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- *NEW THIS YEAR* There is now a new definition on the required Modern Jive content in Teams and Showcases for this event. Please read pages 11 and 12 of the rules document carefully and email email@example.com if you have any questions.
Links to Rules, Policies and Entry Forms
Competitor Entry Form - click here
Modern Jive Information and Rules - click here
West Coast Swing Information and Rules - click here
West Coast Swing Petition Form – click here
Breach of Rules Policy - click here
What is Modern Jive and What is West Coast Swing? (document)
What is Modern Jive and What is West Coast Swing? (video)